10 February, 2012

On No You Di'n't

Oh holy fuck. Fuckety fuck fuck fuck.

What was I thinking?

I just replied to a recent post on
Edenland about funeral songs and fear of death:

+++

Well, this certainly made my heart drop to my guts. And that was just your header.

I had always, for as long as I can remember, wanted Van Morrison's
Sweet Thing played at my funeral - "i will stroll the merryway and jump the hedges first, and drink the clear clean water to quench my thirst...". That song conjures up such heavenly images in my head.
I hope wherever we go is just like that.

I gifted this funeral song to my baby son, who was born in December 2010 at 42wk+3 days. He was alive for five days then taken off life support. It was gross medical negligence of the most catastrophic kind that took his life and very nearly mine (my womb was also taken the night he was born).

Breeeeeathe KT, breathe.

So, he got my song because he is just the Sweetest Thing.

At his funeral we also played Nick Cave's
Into My Arms. Sarah McLaughlan's Into the Arms of An Angel. Some Dixie Chicks song and lastly, for when we were walking out holding the ashes of his body in his lotus urn, was Darling I Do from Shrek the Third soundtrack. I figured he'd like that because the kids watched it non stop during my pregnancy with him so he must have heard it? Right? Plus, my other boys were familiar with the song and I figured on such a fucked up (another) saddest day ever, they might just have a little bit of light amongst that darkness.

I used to fear death but I don't any more, because I can't. I can't for him. I absolutely have to believe that there is as much beauty in death as there is in birth. No matter how fucked up and out of order his birth and death was/is.

+++

Then, I went back and clicked on my name and it takes me straight to this blog!

It's a blog public I know, but in my ignorant little head I figured it would only be read by other babyloss parents and they'd only find me through replies on their blogs. Stoopid right?

And then it occurred to me that there must be more people reading the dribble I write about than just those babyloss parents and maybe they just don't comment? Aaaah, der Fred.

So, in the words of Luka Bloom (from the song
I Need Love), 'if you're out there, please, make yourself seen'. Let me know you're there and how you found me and if you have read more than this reply I left on Edenland's blog.

Cheers for that.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kate.

    I read your reply on Edens' blog, and it smacked me between the eyes, and I wanted to reply there but I didn't know what to say that wouldn't seem trite or false.
    I'm a babyloss mum too,so I kind of honed in on your comment.
    {Those were amazing song choices, by the way.}
    But I'm reading this in tears, for your son and your womb and all the legal mess you're in right now.
    I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I actually hope you get some amazing people over here- not because of their own stories, but for yours. You deserve that- and his memory deserves that as well. Sending love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate.

    It's Eden here from .. my blog.

    I'm sitting here reading and replying to all of the amazing comments, and when I got to yours I just teared up and churned and felt such pain for you that life can be so hard.

    And I clicked here straight away, to write you back. Sending you love, and well-intentioned thoughts, and Light.

    It's not much but I just really mean it.

    XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate,

    I'm always reading, even if I don't comment as often as I should.

    Thinking of you...((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate,

    I came here via Eden's blog. I'd not known you were blogging but we have a number of friends in common and I'd followed your pregnancy through them and on JB as I was pregnant with our fourth at the same time.

    My heart hurt so much for you, as it still does. I'm glad you have a space to write.

    I hope you don't mind if I follow along here?

    xox Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not at all Kate.
    Thanks all, for responding. I appreciate the well wishes.
    x KT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stumbled upon your blog, how I am not really sure but I read it through fresh tears. I'm not fluffy, I don't believe in coincidence but I do believe I was meant to find you.
    Thank you for sharing with me. It doesn't make this hurt less but it helps me catch my breath and know that I am not crazy.
    xxoo you are a wonderful person Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Kate.
    I am following. I am remembering Joseph today on his 14 month birthday. God, this is so hard, isn't it?
    Sending love to you on another difficult day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been following you for a while now. I honestly, can't remember how I came across you though. Small Bird Studios blog hop perhaps? Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope?

    ReplyDelete