9 months today. He would be 9 months old today. He SHOULD be 9 months old today.
He was alive, inside my body, for 282 days.
Two beating hearts, two souls, in one body.
He was born, and lingered in the void between life and death, for 5 days.
One beating heart, unable to beat on it's own. The other, totally and utterly broken.
And he's been dead now, for 270 days.
He was conceived on 10 March 2010 (the same date as his oldest brother).
He was born on 16th December 2010, at 10.15pm, two weeks and three days after his 'due date'.
He died on 21st December 2010. Declared at 3.30pm, but I remember not being able to feel his faint heart after about 1.30pm. I wish I could remember the exact time, but I'm glad that I don't.
He was cremated on the 21st January 2011.
His funeral was on the 5th March 2011.
We found out on the 19th May 2011 that it was medical negligence that took Joseph's life and is most likely the cause of the loss of my womb, and nearly my life, some 5 1/2 months after Joseph died (bastards).
It took seven years to have Xavier, the last two on IVF. He was born in December too (in 2005), three days before Joseph's birthday. Xavier is just the most beautiful, placid and sensitive soul.
In March 2007 at the 12 week scan I found out there was no heartbeat in the tiny little body of our second baby. It took days to get a D&C organised. And I thought that was harrowing.
In September 2008 our third and fourth babies were born healthy. They are such a tonic, and I must say just so hilarious, at just on 3 years old, they are getting into their own secret conversations with each other (note to self *put a tape recorder in their room at night).
In November 2009 our fifth baby left my body at 9 weeks. We were devastated, but it reaffirmed that we really weren't done. We knew then that we definitely wanted four children.
And then Joseph. Oh, my Joseph.
At nine months, what would he be doing? Crawling, that's for sure.
Attachment parenting suggests that nine months is a time of moving away from the mother. Babies are with us, in utero for around nine months, then spend equal time earthside, then become much more independent. Mother always in sight, but they spread their wings. Maybe he'd be cruising around the furniture, maybe even walking. Probably not though, given the track record of two of his brothers, who were double this age before walking.
I'll never know though, and that sucks. Big time.
I am a mother.
I am 42 years old.
I've had 5 pregnancies.
I have 3 living children.
I have 3 dead.
I'm eduring 1 neonatal loss.
I've endured 2 miscarriages.
I've had 2 cesareans.
I've had 1 vaginal birth.
I've had 1 hysterectomy.
Numbers. Who needs 'em.
Oh Man! It is hard when you put all those numbers next to everything. For some reason it makes it all seem so logical and irrational all at once. I keep saying "I wish I could have twins" because you see the numbers don't add up. In my brain I want the numbers to match...not so much about the numbers themselves but what they signify...the loss of someone...my daughter, your son. I have had 2 pregnancies and have 1 living child and 2 vaginal deliveries. Those numbers do not match up. I want them too...but more than the numbers...I want my daughter. Your experience is Horrible. My experience is horrible. I know I compare grief right now...but loss is loss. Some worse than others..but as Bob Marley says "everymans burden is the heaviest. He knows it cuz he feels it" I think of that a lot. We only know what our experience is. I wish no one had to experience this. I wish I lived in oblivion of baby loss. Sending you so much love...a hundred million hugs (in numbers) I wish we could go to yoga and meet up too.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. Nine months is so cruel. I wish you know what your Joseph would be doing now, if he would have been like his brothers or different, cruising about or content with crawling for the moment. It's just so sad, to think that we will never know very much about them.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. I ran across your blog tonight as I was reading others in this babyloss community. I lost my 2nd son, Levi, almost 2 1/2 years ago now. His heart stopped beating within my womb just hours before my planned c-section. This is a hard life we have to live, but it does get easier. Praying for you.
ReplyDeleteI do this as well, get lost in a sea of numbers that all connect me to her.
ReplyDeleteAnd like Renel, I thought having twins would be a nice "quick fix" to all of this, so the number of pregnancies I had matched the number of babies I had at home. Really, a very stupid idea. Because no matter how many more I have, she will always be missing, and I will always want her back.
I want Joseph back for you, too.
xo
Oh goodness... when we type out our histories like that it just makes me so sad. The pain and hurt of losing our boys, coupled with recurrent miscarriages.. it's all just so unfathomable.
ReplyDeleteI know that at 9 months the days often get murky. I hope you know we are here to support you in any way that you need.. and I am sending you a lot of love and hugs tonight.
I found nine months really brutal because of this, exactly. The numbers. Emma was a "due date" baby and so it marked the turn to living without her longer than I had her. I do the 5 pregnancies, 3 children heartache too. It's not fair. I'm not bad at maths but we'll never, ever make those numbers work.
ReplyDeleteAnd we will continue to miss them beyond any calculation.
This was beautiful and heartbreaking to read. The numbers just don't add up and I'm very sorry for your losses and that Joseph isn't around doing little Joseph type things. At six months out, I find the missing, the desperate longing for my baby, the hardest part. I'm so thankful you shared your story again, the full story.
ReplyDeletePeace to you today,
Josh
I can't help, but play the number game. I swear I think of every day, every everything as to how it relates to Addison.
ReplyDeleteI hate that none of our number add up :(
Thanks for coming over Amy. I'm sorry to meet you this way and so sorry that Levi isn't with you. I read your story and felt the shock through your words of learning there was no heartbeat right before his birth. He's so beautiful in the photos.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your responses all. I do feel very supported by this amazing community. I'm glat to now know that I'm not the only one to obsess over the numbers, as well as my baby.
I love the Bob Marley quote Renel, and have used it as a status update today. My favourite of his is 'one good thing about music, when it aches, you feel no pain'.
Love and light to you all in the desperate longing for our babies. xo
9 months nearly broke me. It is brutal. Much love. I am so sorry :(
ReplyDelete