It was Xavier's birthday on Tuesday, he turned 6.
This feels like a really hard place to be. In one week we celebrate the 6th birthday of our first born son, and then remember our last born who should be turning 1. It seems an impossible task to feel the joy and gratitude that our eldest turned 6. Xavier was so desperately wanted. We waited around 7 years for his arrival. Joseph was also so desperately wanted. He came on the heels of his older twin brothers and a miscarriage at 9 weeks.
+++
I've been quiet on the blog scene. I've read, maybe skimmed and for the most part haven't commented. This makes me feel like a really bad person. I wish I had more to give. More of myself. More able to read and really listen at the same time. And more able to comment. But, for the most part I just feel flat, blank, bland, empty and sad. The hot tears sit and wait and I push them away like I'm swatting a fly. The anticipation of tomorrow feels so heavy. How can I celebrate him when he isn't here? I won't be baking him a cake. It doesn't feel right to me to do that. He's not here to eat it and I think to look at a cake meant for my 1 year old, who won't get to smash it up seems, oh I don't know, futile maybe? And just so bloody sad. Lonely old cake.
We will head to the beach near my sister's house though. I have about 30 sky lanterns. It's going to be very warm tomorrow, with an offshore breeze (hopefully under at least 20knots). They were ordered weeks ago and I started to panic that they wouldn't arrive (from China). Australia is the only bloody country in the world to have a ban, albeit temporary, on sky lanterns. It's a fair point, we do have a risk of bush fires. But, it's not like I'm going to get smashed and light them in my back yard. Been there, done that.
I ordered a practice lot months ago and got a couple out when here with people and a few too many reds and thought it would be a great idea to light one up. Up, up, up it went, then over, over, o-v-e-r into the next door neighbours house. It got stuck in her tree. It was a very balmy night, late and she's about 80 years old. I panicked. How could I go knocking on her door, calmly asking to walk through her house and put out a little fire I'd started in her backyard? But then, up, up, up it went! We all breathed a sigh of sheer relief. And then over, over, o-v-e-r it went and got stuck in her next door neighbours tree (who just happens to be her son). Again the visions of running through his house requesting I just extinguish that little fire in his yard that I caused. But, then up, up, up it went and up some more. The wind picked it up and it rose higher than we could see it. Thank God!
True story, I kid you not. It wasn't how I planned it in my head. At all.
+++
All humour aside (cause we need it when our dead baby should be turning one, what else are we gonna do?).
He's moved beyond newborn now. I feel like I want to take down the few pictures that I have of him because for the most part, I see him as the age he would be if he were here, with us. It's sometimes disturbing for me to look at him in those photos, newborn but dead and I feel like that's such a betrayal to him.
My psychologist says this is a healthy thing, because I'm not holding him in that time, in that grief. That he's growing with me as my grief grows. I'd give anything to be 'unhealthy', sleep deprived, going absolutely insane trying to cope with 4 young boys than 'moving and growing with my grief'. It's a pissy consolation prize if you ask me.
I just really want to look at pictures of him as a one year old. Better still. I just want to hold him as a one year old. I want to co sleep with him like I did with our other boys. I was so looking forward to that especially. Xavier slept in our bed for almost 6 years. The twins slept in our room for 6 months. I had to make a hard call and move them out at this age because it was killing me softly to co sleep and demand feed 2 all night every night. I think we survived on about 3 hours total of broken sleep for those first 6 months and something had to give.
But Joseph. He was my last and I was going to enjoy that alone time with him. Just Joseph and me, after the crazyness of Eden and Augie. How nice it was going to be to have just one baby this time. I would have spoilt him rotton.
I want him back. I miss him so much. I love him so fiercly but don't know where to put that. I would sell my soul to have him back. And I can't believe that he's a year away from me. There's a certain hurt that comes with being so far away in time from him, as well as just the missing. How can a year have gone by so quickly?
It's after midnight here, so I guess now it's officially Joseph's birthday.
To my darling beautiful Joseph Gabriel. I wish for you safety, peace and love. I really hope that my Nana has you in her arms, looking after you. I know if she and you were here she would have loved you as fiercely. And I'm sorry that you're not here. I'm sorry that I didn't choose an elective at 38 weeks because I'm sure if I did, you'd be here. I hope there is an afterlife because if there is it means I'm one year closer to holding you again. I love you little man. My beautiful Joseph Gabriel. Love Mummy. xo
I'm sorry it has been so tough. :( Two birthdays...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful letter to Joseph.
What is your email? I need to send you a photo.
Thanks Josh. katieanddwayne@optusnet.com.au
ReplyDeleteWe're surviving. I appreciate all your comments and wish our babies were here. x
Happy birthday to your beautiful boy. I just hate that we all have to spend these special birthdays without our babies...it's so messed up. I understand why you would t want to do a cake...I felt like I needed to and then wound up throwing almost all of it away just yesterday...broke my heart to throw it away. I hope the sky lanterns go well. Crazy you guys have a ban on them but they are beautiful to watch. We did a test run in our neighborhood before Addi's birthday and I was super scared it would land on someone's roof! When we did them for her birthday over the water it felt much safer! Thinking of you and your whole family and wishing your littlest was here for him and for all of you. He is remembered all over...even Washington state xxxooo
ReplyDeleteThose sky lanterns sound beautiful, I would love to see pix sometime if you took them.
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking of you all day. ((hugs))
Joseph is in my heart today, and always.
Thinking of you all - especially precious, beautiful Joseph today. Wishing he was a boisterous little one year old and grieving with you, the fast that he is not.
ReplyDeleteWhat a difficult time for your family, so much joy and gratitude and so much sorrow.
ReplyDeleteSo glad that the sky lanterns did not end up burning down your neighbour's trees. I'm sure that was not quite how you had planned it in your head.
I'm sorry that your little boy isn't here, to smash up his cake, as he should be. I wish we could, somehow, get hold of those pictures, of them as they would be now, in some parallel universe where they grew up.
And I hope, I deeply, deeply hope, that your dear Joseph Gabriel is being held safe in the arms of your Nana and that you will, somehow, meet again. Thinking of you and your littlest boy xo
Oh Kate how I have missed you. I am about 6.5 months behind you and I already wonder how so much time could have passed. Being so far away from Joseph is so excruciating. I love that you ordered sky lanterns. I really really want to do that too. I would love to see photos of the release. Can u write on the lanterns? I am sending you love and wishing Joseph was here with you. You are always in my thoughts and the rough patches are especially bad. 1 year away from you son is an eternity. I'm so sorry thing aren't different.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry you are missing your baby boy. I think the lanterns sound like a beautiful tribute, the small potential for accidental firestarting aside. Thinking of you and Joseph. I don't know how a year goes by without them.
ReplyDeleteMy heart is with you, Kate. I wish that I could have met your little Joseph and breathed him in deeply.
ReplyDeleteSending you all love.
Oh Kate. Thinking of you and Joseph. I wish he was here with you. I do the same thing - trying to imagine Z at the age she'd be now. Glad to hear it's 'healthy' - yay, a gold star in grieving for us. I hope the sky lanterns went beautifully and that you can feel Joseph close by in the ocean, the sky and the wind. Sending love xxxxxh
ReplyDeleteYou are so not a bad person. You're a grieving mother who is doing the best she can to survive the unthinkable.
ReplyDeleteWe remember Joseph with you, with much love.
xo