It's been 10 months since Joseph was born and nearly 10 months since he died. That means, now he's been dead for longer than he was alive and that right there is just so fucking fucked up.
I thought I could put the anger at bay. But I can feel it rising and it's harder to contain. I'm not the crying kind, it's hard for me to do that. I did that earlier on. But, my emotions come out in anger, always have really. Maybe it would be more productive to cry than lash out in anger. Anger scares me now more than ever. I'm not violent, but I can feel it's toxicity within.
I thought I was actually doing OK. The 10 month mark of his birthday kind of came and went and I figured somehow, that it was all becoming nice and integrated like. But. No. It’s all still as fucked up as it was one month out, two months out, 6 months out. He’s dead. I’m without one of my children. My beautiful, precious, most wanted Joseph is gone. But, where is he? And that is what I just cannot get my head around.
I get the birth. I get the major fuck ups and medical negligence. I remember and totally understand what it means and feels to hold my dying and dead son in my arms. But, where the fuck is he? Part of me still feels like I’m still searching. Will I be searching forever?
I know what it feels like to lose all my grandparents. They’re all gone. My father’s mother’s ashes are currently in a box on the piano at my folks place. She was 90 something (sorry glow mesh Grandma, I can't remember your exact age, maybe 94?). She lived a good life. All was in order.
My mother’s parents died within two or three years of each other. Senior citizens, but not 90 something. However, all was in order. I miss my Nana like crazy. Still. But, all is in order. I get that their bodies expired through old age and cancer.
But Joseph?
What the hell?
He was a newborn! Where is the order in that I ask you?
*****************************************************
I went to my cousins wedding on Saturday. It was the 15th October. Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day. The next day was 10 months since Joseph's birth.
I was having a gay old time until the nuptials. And it came from nowhere (well, somewhere I guess). Suddenly I had tears in my eyes, my heart was in my throat and I felt like I couldn't breath. I grabbed hold of Dwayne that little bit tighter and whispered to him "he's never going to have this" and in my mind I saw all these life events flash before my eyes that he is going to miss. That we are going to miss. It's the life sentence talked about in this brilliant article.
So, I suck it up, get drunk and try to keep the tears at bay. And by Sunday, Monday and today, they've turned into anger.
********************************************************************
I watched Eden and Augie today painting, running round naked in a little pool, having fun. And, while I love to watch them doing normal kid stuff, getting dirty, wet and tired, I feel like I can only see that Joseph is missing. I carry on, chatting to lovely friends, but the internal heart and mind dialogue is so loud. It overpowers my efforts to stay present with my friends and the 2 little boys of mine having fun. And, well, it's just bloody exhausting. It really is. I get home and I'm spent. I worry about how people can sustain a friendship with me. When I know my baby is dead, and they know my baby is dead. It becomes the elephant in the room. Huge and obvious, but unspoken. I don't want to be pitied. I just want to go back to normal, to the time when there was no elephant. And I love elephants, but just not this one.
******************************************************************
There was a raging thunderstorm here a couple of weeks ago. I love thunder and lightening. I love counting in between the lighting and the thunder to see how close it is. This day there was almost no delay between the two. It was close, practically over the house and SO loud. The windows were rattling and the floor rumbling. It was fantastic.
Xavier and I were talking about our lovebomb day. I worry about anxiety with him. I worry that he doesn't talk or ask about Joseph. We were quietly chatting and I said I have a new book for him and his brothers.
"Would you like me to read it to you?"
"Yes", he said.
So I did. We arrived at the page where the little boy is listening/touching his mother's pregnant belly.
"Joseph was in my tummy like in the picture Xavier"
"Like we have photos of me and the babies touching your tummy?"
"You remember that do you Xavier?"
"Yes. Can I see it?"
I hadn't looked at any photos of myself pregnant with Joseph since he was born. I have alot on my computer and alot on face.b.ooks, but I just haven't been able to look at them. But, as he asked (and he doesn't ask often, or talk about Joseph much, at all), I felt I owed it to him. So, I took a breath and showed him this...
Beautiful isn't it? He's so incredibly dreamy in this photo. I love the light and have always felt he was very connected with this baby, before he was even born.
Then I started reading ‘When Dinosaurs Die’ and got to the page with a picture of a dinosaur in a hospital bed.
"That's like our baby, she's at the doctors too"
"No he’s not matey, not at the doctors. Do you know what dead means?"
"Yeah, it means she's at the doctors"
"No, dead means your heart stops beating, and your brain stops working and you don't breath anymore. Joseph died and he's not coming back and that's why sometimes I'm sad"
"Maybe he’s with the thunderstorm and he’s scared and he’s saying wah wah wahaaaaa ‘I just want my mummy’"
He looked expectantly at me, like I can get Joseph back. And it feels like he’s also looking for tears in my eyes. And in that moment, I can see it all. I can see the night terrors in the early months. I can see the incessant picking at his arms (self soothing I'm told). I can see the moodiness. I can see the anxiety and worry and reluctance to let me go at every. single. drop off at kinder so far this year. It's all there in that moment. He doesn't ask. He doesn't talk about it, because he just wants Joseph back too. He doesn't want to ask me about it because he doesn't want to see me cry. And, he doesn't want to see me cry because he might just think it's his fault. No matter how much I've told him in the last 10 months that none of this is his fault. That the tears are mine and not his and nothing to do with anything he's done. He still carries the burden.
And there's a whole lot of shitty mish mash right there.
Wow. This is just so heart breaking...as all our stories are, but damn. That picture is so SO beautiful. I'm glad you two were able to share that moment, but oh for you to see the hurt in his eyes. Ugh. Hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteAnd your earlier statement of "what the hell" yeah none of it makes sense. My grandpa was recently admitted to the hospital, he is 82, I have always thought losing a grandparent would be the hardest thing I would experience, but when he went in I was prepared for it and then he got to leave and I was surprised...WTF? These emotions thoughts are so fucked up now :(
Back to that picture, God it is amazingly beatiful. xxxooo
Watching our children grieve is just another awful part of this. I'm sorry Mama, truly.
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful photo. x
The expression on both of your faces in the photo is so real and touching. And it makes sense that he misses his baby brother, that he knows that there is someone else who is supposed to be there, and that he, too, touched the rip in the fabric of the world. The way he's looking at you - it's so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteMy son is 16, and his baby brother died, too. He has more language, more experience, more life behind him, but it is still a fucked up scenario to hand to a kid.
Beautiful picture. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.
Oh this is all so hard. I sometimes wonder if I have scarred my children for life, bringing them into this whole process, getting them all excited about having a little sibling. I worry that they will always have this knowledge that life is all too short. But then I think maybe just maybe the loss of their brother will make them more compassionate. Maybe as they grow into adults they will be the kind of men that will open their arms to those who need a hug and will willing assist someone in need. I am hoping and I have a pretty good feeling that they will have insight that others may never achieve and because of the pain of this loss they will love a little deeper and hug a little tighter.
ReplyDeleteYour picture is beautiful and it shows the love the three of you shared in that moment.I am sorry that your little one isn't in your arms. Hugs.
Yes to all of this post. Every bit of it. I think the two months leading up to one year were so damn hard. SO hard. Once it passed there was a definite shift.. but it is really hard to explain.
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard to know how much your boy is aching for his brother. My heart breaks for him and for his pain along with yours.
The picture you posted has such a beauty about it.. I hope he will be able to look at this as he grows and feel a sense of connection to the brother he never got to know...
love and light.
Oh Gosh Kate this just crushes me in my soul! That picture is pure beauty. It is really something to be cherished. You are beautiful and Xavier is beautiful. Joseph WHERE ARE YOU? I don't know either. I wish I did. I wish I had a hope or belief that our children were somewhere other than just dead. Maybe they are in the energy of the earth, for me it is not in the butterflys or deer but in the life force, the sky, wind, rain, thunder. Energy does not go away, it just changes shape. Sigh...I just don't know.
ReplyDeleteI love we were gonna have a baby but we had an angel instead. My son uses some of the language in this book: We have cards but we will always miss Camille. We are all sad that Camille died. I wish we had a baby instead of an angel. UGH...me too buddy, me too.
I really get the child searching your face and eyes for your sadness and despair. It sure is a heavy load to carry for such a young little person. It makes me ache to think of it. Kai has said "I don't want you to be sad mama." he has had perpetual stomach aches since Camille died as well and being really clingy and crying when dropping him off at daycare. It is so hard to find a way to ease their fears and worries when we don't have the answers. I like that you talk candidly with him. I think that is important. Why we are crying and how much we love them simultaneously while missing their sibling. I am so sorry that Joseph isn't here. I too get angry. My husband says it is a waste of energy. That may be so but it doesn't make it go away. Having our children die is totally the most FUCKED up thing that could possibly happen. I wish it didn't, I wish they could come back to us. I wish, I wish I wish...
P.S. I tried to find you on F.B and asked to be friends with someone who had your name a picture of a dog for a picture...um is that you? you might have to look me up cuz I can't find you. Renel Ralston
Light and love to you Kate
I am sobbing here at your description of your beautiful boy with his baby brother - that picture is stunning and bless him, just bless him. My eldest is like Xavier - he misses Emma profoundly but it is all internalised. I have never been able to read that book to mine - I break down before I get anywhere near the end.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry - I am sorry Joseph is not in your arms (I love the idea of our babies being the thunderstorms - I call Emma my storm baby sometimes) and I am sorry that Xavier misses his baby brother so profoundly.
Xavier is our eldest, so he carries some of that burden already. He's a thinker and a worrier.
ReplyDeleteOur SIDS counsellor told me once, in the very early days, that children who have been through profound loss like this do grow up to be more empathic (empathetic - I never know which is the correct word here!). They have an innate awareness of others emotions. So, that can only be a good thing right?
Yeah, and butterflies etc? I'm not so sure. I do believe there's something more out there, I just don't know what it is and I wish I did. He must be somewhere, because I swear I see him out of the corner of my eye - all the time. It catches my breath sometimes. I just wish I had more signs of where he is.
Thanks for your comments everyone. God I need this space. Thankyou. xo
Oh that photograph is so beautiful. Your dear boys, there is such a strong connection between them there and it's so very sad. As Leslie says, I can only hope that Xavier will be able to look back when he is older and see the beauty and the sadness and feel connected to Joseph.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that you were ambushed at the wedding, it just seems to get in everywhere, grief. One minute you're having a gay old time, the next, WAM. I remember sobbing at my husband that G would never get married and the fact that she never would, would somehow spoil J's wedding day.
I love your description of the internal dialogue, that sounded very familiar to me. It's exhausting to have to maintain two conversations at once or to suppress the internal one as it is not always suitable for public consumption.
I'm sorry, I wish it didn't have to be so hard on you and your older children.
Wow Kate, just so much in here that struck me.
ReplyDeleteThe 10 month anniversary hit me hard as well. Longer dead than alive. There was something particularly awful about that, and after that time she just continued to feel so far away.
The five days between Hope's birth and her funeral, I constantly remember saying "where is she?" I just didn't understand where she was, why she was gone. I think I was in horrible shock, but people kept having to tell me she was dead, and at the funeral parlour. I remember wanting to know where that was, the exact suburb. I just wanted to know exactly where she was because as her mum, I felt that was my duty.
Yes, weddings. We were at one the week before and they always get me. I feel for Simon, knowing he'll never walk his daughter down the aisle.
And this:
"I carry on, chatting to lovely friends, but the internal heart and mind dialogue is so loud. It overpowers my efforts to stay present with my friends.... And, well, it's just bloody exhausting. It really is. I worry about how people can sustain a friendship with me. When I know my baby is dead, and they know my baby is dead. It becomes the elephant in the room. Huge and obvious, but unspoken. I don't want to be pitied. I just want to go back to normal, to the time when there was no elephant. And I love elephants, but just not this one."
Oh my god yes to all of that!
And that picture. Wow Kate, it's magic.
xo
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKate that is such a beautiful and heartbreaking photo. I agree with what Leslie said, that the couple months leading to the one year anniversary were really difficult. I can only imagine how difficult it must be as a parent to watch your child grieve the loss of a sibling.
ReplyDeleteWishing you some peace...
and Paula...I don't think that the loss of your baby will scar your children for life. I actually think that teaching our children that life is fragile is a good thing and that it will teach them to be more compassionate. Well, that's my hope anyway.
This is my FOURTH time reading this. I can identify with so much of it. I am three months behind you, but I feel like it was yesterday sometimes too. I just want to scream some days,
ReplyDeleteFUCKETY, FUCK, FUCK, FUCKETY, FUCK!!! I cannot wrap my head around the fact that my Margot is fucking dead. That some of her ashes are in our living room. God damn. My first daughter asks to hold them every day, and I can't believe this is my fucking life.
Then some days I feel okay. I feel happy. Integrated, as you say.
This grief thing is so damn tricky.
You are not alone.
Josh
Oh, no. Poor little Xavier. That picture and your description of his internalized worry really hit home. When I was 10 months out I had all of those same thoughts but my surviving daughter was also only 10 months out--it was so much easier when I didn't have to talk to her about it. It must be incredibly difficult to juggle the needs of your living boys with your grief for Joseph.
ReplyDeleteNone of it makes any sense.
Best to you.
I found your blog through a comment you made on "Caring for Carleigh".
ReplyDeleteMy 10 months was on October 13th ....
I identify so strongly with what you wrote about your son not having a wedding.... all of the things our babies will never have.
Sometimes you do just have to sit back and wonder what is going on?
I am so sorry for your loss. I am sorry for my loss. I am sorry for all of our losses- these tiny babies without futures, that we birth and love, and are expected to just give up on as the world keeps moving on.
It seems unfair, and I think it is- and I hope that someday, we will have all of the asnwers we need. Until then, you are his torch bearer- and you are doing a beautiful job, by sharing his story- and beautiful photos of his life, like you have here.
Thank you.
:'(
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness. Thunder as my babies crying for me just struck me hard.
We had a huge lightning storm here last night, and twice a huge thunderclap boomed right outside our bedroom window. Perhaps that was our babies crying out for me?